Re: Database bound ?

From: Andy Dent <dent_at_oofile.com.au>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:45:49 +0800

In article <e0a5b916.0207190904.30a7ee58_at_posting.google.com>,  el_squid_2000_at_yahoo.com (Slavko Vorkapitch) wrote:

> Hi - I am struggling a little with the term 'database bound'.. My best
> guess is that this is a cross between CPU bound and I/O bound leaning
> more heavily towards the I/O ??
Consider a wider architecture where an application is broken up into Application Server and Database Server.

When your application is being stalled waiting for the Database Server, it's database bound.

eg: someone submits a report which requires massive amounts of joins and the database engine is bogged down servicing that, slowing its response for online transactions.

This is one of the reasons that some commercial environments replicate data from the online transaction processing systems off to separate copies used for data analysis.

Any time you have a shared resource (eg: Database Server) you have the chance for a system to become bound by the response time of that resource.

hope that helped

--

Andy Dent BSc  MACS  AACM   http://www.oofile.com.au/
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows