Re: SQL and First Order Logic/ILP

From: Jan.Hidders <hidders_at_hcoss.uia.ac.be>
Date: 10 Jul 2002 16:38:46 +0200

In article <3d2c18d4.50557357_at_news.compuserve.de>, Malte Finsterwalder <finsterwalder02_at_web.de> wrote:
>On 9 Jul 2002 18:49:40 +0200, Jan.Hidders wrote:
>
>>>What is the relation between the relational model and first oder
>>>logic?
>>
>>They are one and the same.
>
>Do you know a document that has a proof that the models are
>equivalent? One that I could cite in a masters thesis?

There's not really much to prove because the relational model was explicitly designed that way. This was already indicated by Codd himself in his seminal paper where he introduced the relational model:

  E. F. Codd, A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks,   Communications of the ACM, Vol. 13, No. 6, June 1970, pp. 377-387

It is made more explicit and presented in a more formal way in

  E. F. Codd. Relational completeness of data base sublanguages. In R.   Rustin, editor, Database Systems, pages 65--98. Prentice Hall, Englewood   Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1972.

>>>Does anyone happen to have any pointers I could follow to learn more?
>>
>>How much do you know already? What do you know about logic? What do you know
>>about the relational model? What would you like to learn next?
>
>That's difficult to say.
>I have some basic knowledge of logic, but it's not very fresh.
>I know the relational model quite well, I would say.

Ok, then I would suggest you start with

  Jeffrey D. Ullman: Principles of Database and Knowledge-Base Systems,   Volume I. Computer Science Press 1988, ISBN 0-7167-8158-1

If you really want to get into database theory:

  Serge Abiteboul, Richard Hull, Victor Vianu: Foundations of Databases.   Addison-Wesley 1995, ISBN 0-201-53771-0

Good luck, Received on Wed Jul 10 2002 - 16:38:46 CEST

Original text of this message