Re: Bad idea?

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 9 Jul 2002 10:33:35 -0700

>> Is the following a really bad idea? I want to reduce the number of
tables in my database to make it easier to understand. <<

Yes, it is. The number of tables has little to do with understadability. Having tables that mean ONE AND ONE THING is better. Carrying your logic out, why not put the whole database into just one honking big table?

>> If I don't do this and I create a table for each combo/pick list I
will end
up with 100 ish tables with 10 values (avg). <<

So?

>> This way I will have 1 table with 1000 values. <<

... which has no meaning in your data model. ALL codes will have to have the same datatype. Any mistake will contaminate the entire database. If you only needed one or two codes, you will have to bring in the entire Godzilla table. If anyone is updating a code, they will lock out everyone else. It is a nightmare; don't do it. Received on Tue Jul 09 2002 - 19:33:35 CEST

Original text of this message