Re: DB clasical structure violation

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 13:57:13 GMT

> What do you mean? Newton's theory of Gravity is presumably also a
> tautological abstract reasoning. And how on earth can something be
> "inspired by" and yet "not based upon"?
>
> Newton's Theory of Gravity has exactly the same relationship with and
> applicability to the real world as set theory.

They aren't quite the same. Newton's theory of Gravity is fundamentally a theory about how the real world works.
Set theory is not necessarily about the real world. Newton's Theory of Gravity, and Newtonian mechanics generally, is a scientific theory, subject to disproof by experimental evidence. The precession of Mercury might be an example of experimental evidence that calls Newtonian mechanics into question.

Set theory is a mathematical theory. As such, it can remain "true" regardless of how the real world works. This is what I understand "tautological" to mean.

There are some works in mathematics that are "true", but not "useful". The question about whether a theory is "useful" or not is really a question of engineering, not of science or math. And that's another story.

Dave Cressey Received on Tue Jul 09 2002 - 15:57:13 CEST

Original text of this message