Re: Will ORM take off?

From: Nathan Allan <member_at_dbforums.com>
Date: 9 Jul 2002 06:19:29 GMT

The problem with ORM is that it cannot model EVERY constraint (business rule). Yes, it can model some constraints, but it is certainly a subjective subset of all constraints. Now I am not arguing that we want to see every facet of every object in the logical database catalog at once, but a data model visualization paradigm should nonetheless allow me to see every facet when desired. IOW, I should be able to see a complete picture of my data model from any perspective including any and all integrity constraints.

I am suggesting that someone needs to create a visual modeling tool that can represent the ENTIRE relational model including all declarative constraints (that most DBMSs don't even support). This would be the last visual modeling tool we would ever need (right Ellison?) ;-).

Nathan Allan
SPAM_nathan_NOT_at_alphora.com