Re: Will ORM take off?

From: Murray Spork <m.spork_at_NOSPAM.qut.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 12:49:19 +1000

John Doherty wrote:
> Murray Spork <m.spork_at_NOSPAM.qut.edu.au> wrote in message
>

>>Or is ORM forever doomed to be one of those "nice ideas" that never
>>really takes off? It is actually quite popular here in Brisbane
>>Australia (mainly due to Terry Halpins evangelisation efforts while he
>>was here)

> When an idea requires "evangelization," it's natural to be suspicious.
>
> Truly "nice ideas" tend to spread on their merits. "Evangelization"
> of an idea suggests that even the evangelists don't believe it has
> sufficient merits to spread on its own: otherwise, why would they
> expend any effort to evangelize it?

[...]

> The more a product is "evangelized," the less valuable it's likely
> to be, because the more valuable an idea actually is, the less
> "evangelization" it requires in order to spread.
>
> The harder someone tries to sell you something, the more skeptical of
> its value you should be.

Hi John.

I'm not sure that I agree with you here. The IT world is littered with the carcasses of dead technology that was superior to the competing technologies of the time. Are you saying that marketing (or "evangelisation") can never win out over a superior product/ technology/ methodology? That's a little naive don't you think?

Murray Received on Mon Jul 08 2002 - 04:49:19 CEST

Original text of this message