Re: Will ORM take off?

From: John Doherty <jdoherty_at_null.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 22:50:49 -0500

Murray Spork <m.spork_at_NOSPAM.qut.edu.au> wrote in message news:3D1BD576.3060406_at_NOSPAM.qut.edu.au...

> Or is ORM forever doomed to be one of those "nice ideas" that never
> really takes off? It is actually quite popular here in Brisbane
> Australia (mainly due to Terry Halpins evangelisation efforts while he
> was here)

When an idea requires "evangelization," it's natural to be suspicious.

Truly "nice ideas" tend to spread on their merits. "Evangelization" of an idea suggests that even the evangelists don't believe it has sufficient merits to spread on its own: otherwise, why would they expend any effort to evangelize it?

It may be a coincidence that evangelists promote ideas that advance their own interests, but I don't think so.

If, say, Dawn really was superior to all other dishwashing liquids, there would be no need for Procter & Gamble to spend anything to market it. The fact that they do spend money to market it is strong evidence that even they don't believe it really is superior to its competing products, and could compete on its own merits.

The more a product is "evangelized," the less valuable it's likely to be, because the more valuable an idea actually is, the less "evangelization" it requires in order to spread.

The harder someone tries to sell you something, the more skeptical of its value you should be.