Re: The Theoretical Foundations of the Relational Model

From: Jan.Hidders <hidders_at_hcoss.uia.ac.be>
Date: 4 Jul 2002 09:59:45 +0200

In article <3d22c83b.1514868_at_newscache5.freenet.de>, Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_nospam_ncs.es> wrote:
>On 2 Jul 2002 19:09:07 +0200, hidders_at_hcoss.uia.ac.be (Jan.Hidders)
>wrote:
>>
>>Actually there have been quite some formal mathematical descriptions of OO
>>data models and also of OR data models. The problem is more that it is not
>>clear which one to choose and why.
>
>What is an OR data model?
>
>Object Relational?

Yes.

>There classic relational model is also an "Object Relational" model.

Well, that's rather easy to claim since the term is not really that well defined. If you mean that it mixes objects and relations then, yes, the relational model is an object-relational data model. I usually prefer to use the term strictly for data models that make "The first great blunder" (tm). :-)

  • Jan Hidders