Re: The Theoretical Foundations of the Relational Model

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_nospam_ncs.es>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 23:02:30 GMT

On 2 Jul 2002 19:09:07 +0200, hidders_at_hcoss.uia.ac.be (Jan.Hidders) wrote:

> I might also claim that many OO models are in some
>sense very limited relational models because they only have binary
>relationships. What's your point?

OO models are in some sense very limited relational models because they only have scalar data types, also called domains and classes.

An OO database is similar to this relational database:

create table all (object class);
insert into all values(AnObject);

>Actually there have been quite some formal mathematical descriptions of OO
>data models and also of OR data models. The problem is more that it is not
>clear which one to choose and why.

What is an OR data model?

Object Relational?

There classic relational model is also an "Object Relational" model.

The SQL data model is not, but SQL is not relational. Received on Thu Jul 04 2002 - 01:02:30 CEST

Original text of this message