Re: dfd and er diagram

From: Alex Petrov <master.db_at_mail.ru>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 00:08:07 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Amit,

> can any one tell me from where i can get DFD er diagram or a Database..

You mean "DFD" and "er diagram" -or- to obtain ER diagram from the DFD? I remember your previous posts (the subject was database schema for hospital under education process) and I agree with people that answered to you (the difference is now you want a DFD). Again, sample data models dedicated to hospitals can be found in old good books if you have ones: Thomas M.Connoly, Carolyn E.Begg -- "Database Systems: A practical approach to design, implementation and management",2nd Ed,Addison-Wesley; M.Fowler, K.Scott -- "UML Distilled. Applying the standard Object Modeling Language", Addison-Wesley) But copying models and modifying them is not a good approach to study database design,

> ...design for a HOSPITAL.

If you have a =Conceptual model= (e.g given to you by your instructor) I can create for you (and for free) logical and physical models using ER tool you have (it can be either Sybase PowerDesigner 8/9, CA ERwin 4, Embarcadero ER/Studio 5 -- you may download evaluation copy of any one) But DFD is quite different thing cause it not only includes data storages, external references, data flows but also activities performed by your inforamtion system (IS). In other words, DFD partially includes/describes entites and DFD (functional model) describes the whole IS and, therefore can be much complex. Anyway, you if you already have major activities or typical use cases of your future IS in textual descriptions, I can create for you the well-commented functional model (DFD) (in either BPwin 4, EasyCASE Pro 4, or Popkin's System Architect)
(In real life it's a result of the most recent stage called "interviewing" of the users (people that will use you IS) that is being performed by system and/or business analyst)

Good luck

Alex P
Sys Analyst,mcdba,ocp