Re: DB clasical structure violation

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_nospam_ncs.es>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 20:27:06 GMT

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 22:37:40 -0300, "Mariano Abdala" <DBProject_at_datafull.com> wrote:

> I'm conducting a research on how the
>clasical structure of the databases, is not allways the better option in
>terms of performance.

I assume when you say "clasical structure" you meant the relational model.

Then your research is based on the typical logical level/physical level confussion.The relational model has no relation with performance. See: Chris Date's An introduction to database systems 7º ed. and www.dbdebunk.com articles.

> The research is going great, but I need some real cases of violation of
>the Normal Forms (and BCNF) in order to improve some [any] aspect of the
>Data Base, to support my theory.

Violation of normal forms at logical level never improves any aspect of the database.

You can introduce all redundance that you want on the PHYSICAL level of the database, in order to improve performance (and it is not normal form violation because physical level is out of relational model's scope).

The logical level should respect what you call "clasical structure". Received on Mon Jul 01 2002 - 22:27:06 CEST

Original text of this message