Re: Newbie DBase architecture questions

From: James <jraustin1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 31 May 2002 09:40:22 -0700

> From a relational point of view I suppose you're lookng at a m:m
> self-referential relationship (that can't be the correct term!?). I've
> avoided using these in practice, since you have to resort to things like
> tree-walking and such, which is complex and slow IMHO.

> If you can't make headway with this, then you may look at a fixed hierarchy,
> where you have a maximum of n levels deep. From a human perspective this may
> not be a bad thing, but to me it doesn't *feel* right.

Comment: Hierarchies invariably change. If you start with fixed number of tables and add/delete tables later, you incur the penalty of updating schema, sql and code. If you use generic modelling (ie tree structures) you loose full use of SQL and incur performance degradation. Received on Fri May 31 2002 - 18:40:22 CEST

Original text of this message