Re: Newbie DBase architecture questions

From: James <jraustin1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 May 2002 11:51:37 -0700

I am not recommending you implement your solution with an oodb as shown below,
but it may shed some light on how to deal with the difficulties encountered in an rdb solution.

Note, in the schema below:
"." is a Property.
[] is object's class.
-> is a reference to an object.
() is the quantity of an object.
A property can have multiple values.

Classes

Opt

Product

LavaLamp [Product]
  .Price
  LavaLampOptFldr

LavaLampOpt [Opt]
  .Price

ProductX [Product]
  .Price

ProductXOpt [Opt]
  .Price

Dept

Houseware [Dept]

Hardware [Dept]

Entertainment [Dept]

Lighting [Dept]

Incandescent [Dept]

DeptX [Dept]

Example Instances of Classes

MyStoreFldr
  Houseware1
    Lighting1
->LavaLamp1(10)

  Hardware1
    DeptX1

      DeptX2
        Lighting2
          ->LavaLamp1(20)

  Entertainment1
    DeptX1

      DeptX2
        DeptX3
          Lighting3
            ->LavaLamp2(30)

ProductFldr
  LavaLampFldr
    LavaLamp1

      .Price = 10$
      OptsFoldr
        ->Red
        ->2WaySw
        ->60wBulb
    LavaLamp2
      .Price = 10$
      OptsFldr
        ->Blue
        ->3WaySw
        ->100wBulb
        ->100ftCord
    OptFldr
      Red
      White
      Blue
      2WaySw
        .Price = 1$
      3WaySw
        .Price = 2$
      60wBulb
        .Price = 3$
      100wBulb
        .Price = 4$
      100ftCord
        .Price = 5$

Example Query

Query - Find refs to LavaLamp1
  Type
    Select
  SearchMethod
    Instances
->LavaLamp1

  Criteria
    AncestPar
->MyStoreFldr

Price of any particular product along with its options can be determined by rolling up price property (www.xdb1.com/UI/Rollup.asp). The price of all products in any dept or sub dept or entire store can also be determined by rolling up on that object. If you are interested in a sample db (10Kb), let me know. Some related examples are posted at www.xdb1.com/Example Received on Thu May 30 2002 - 20:51:37 CEST

Original text of this message