Re: Who yields - client or developer? Your opinion

From: Graham Bellamy <dontwriteme_at_ask.first.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 04:07:25 +1000

Thank you all for your comments. Especially to Tom Ellison for going further and offering a solution suggestion (though not being able to use Eval() in my queries puts a big stopper on this), and to Albert D. Kallal for so bluntly showing me the folley of my question. However I would like to remind readers that not everybody (especially me) is a professional at db creation, and that some (me included) don't do this for a living. Being a rookie, as I mentioned, I have never done a 'functional spec of features', wouldn't have a clue on how much time it would take me to create the certain features I was after. Lacking experience, I also lack the foresight of all that would need to be included to get what I want. I am treating this project as a learning experience. I have not quoted a fixed price for a finished product. The customer has agreed to view the project along the way, and decide if, and how far, he wants me to continue till the next point. I won't try to validate my original post, as I know it's flawed in concept. If the customer wants it, you should be able to tell him how much time (=cost) it will require. Then it's over to him. At the moment, I am not able to do that. So I guess I accept the forthcoming headache, and try to figure out a way to do what I need. And if I can't.. the customer won't get it.

...I might start looking for a Toyota - and see if I can put a sunroof in it :) Humbly,
Graham