Re: Object support in the relational model??

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 11:56:55 +0200

Dan Muller wrote:
> > > Maybe inheritance is the wrong approach and we need a
> > > more loosely coupled system of dynamic delegates.
> > > (Tables and relations? :-) )
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "dynamic delegates", but it sounds
> interesting. :-)

// Here is the setup:

class Foo{
  delegate Bar bar;

}

class Bar{
  void fly(){

  }
}

Foo foo = new Foo();

// Here is the beef:

foo.fly();

The above method will try to find a "fly" method in the Foo class. If it is not successful, it will search all delegates, in the order of declaration, for a valid object that supports the method.
Clue No.2: If it is not successful, it will search all the delegates for further delegates.

The concept will cover all aspects of multiple inheritance, so you will not need to have "normal" inheritance.

Additionally it is possible to change the values of delegates at runtime. This would for instance make it possible to "promote" an "employee" to be a "manager".

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger