Re: Object support in the relational model??

From: Jan.Hidders <hidders_at_hcoss.uia.ac.be>
Date: 27 May 2002 13:02:28 +0200

In article <act0ud$s50ds$1_at_ID-116287.news.dfncis.de>, George Weer <none_at_none.com> wrote:

>CJ Date said that object features "undermine the conceptual integrity of
>the relational model" i fail to see how adding OO features can harm the
>relational model!

I think you are simplifying Date's position a bit too much. It depends on which features you want to add and how you want to add them. I suggest you first have a look at:

  • "The third manifesto" By Date and Darwen

   Available from http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/darwen95third.html

  • The relevant chapters in Date's "An introduction to database systems", i.e., chapters 24 and 25 in the 7th edition.

and then come back and enjoy the flame-war which by then will be in full swing here. :-)

> My DBA is resiliant that oo features are badbut i cant
> understand why and he wont tell me :-(

You could also check out 'dbdebunk' for some more explanations:

  http://www.pgro.uk7.net/index-1.htm Received on Mon May 27 2002 - 13:02:28 CEST

Original text of this message