Re: Normalization, Natural Keys, Surrogate Keys

From: Tobin Harris <comedyharris_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 08:58:45 +0100

> (btw, you should use singular rather than plural for table names.
> <g>)

He he. This cropped up recently on comp.databases, where Joe Celko was saying the opposite! I quite like singular table names, but he was saying that collective nouns (e.g Personelle) were favourable, and failing that plural nouns (Employees). Apparently this is part of the ISO (?) standard. The argument seemed to be that if the table is to hold more than one Employee, then it should be called Employees.

I still prefer singular <g>. What's funny, and a little annoying IMHO, is that noone can agree on *anything*! There always seems to be more than one 'correct' way of doing something, and strong but different arguments for each. That's probably why standards are good - let someone else decide for us!

Tobin Harris