Re: Normalization, Natural Keys, Surrogate Keys

From: Galen Boyer <galendboyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 May 2002 22:14:07 -0500

On Thu, 16 May 2002, richdillon_at_mindspring.com wrote:

> Neglecting to declare a natural key undermines your ability to protect
> the integrity of your data.

A natural unique index should suffice. Then a generated key makes for a much easier to understand and code to model, (in my opinion). Restrict on the natural fields to restrict on but join on the generated keys. To me, this just seems a whole lot easier to understand and code to, which makes for more successful projects.

--
Galen deForest Boyer