Re: Which normal form is this violating?

From: Andrew Hamm <ahamm_at_sanderson.net.au>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 10:13:54 +1000

Jan Hidders wrote ...
>Andrew Hamm wrote ...
>>
>> I think he probably meant "distinct" sets... Don't let the argument get
>> lost in pedantry.
>
>I think we know what he meant (Joe Celko uses that phrase a lot) and I also
>know what you meant. ;-)

I couldn't hold my tongue when the argument got nudged off-course by a mis-interpretation. Some people seem to latch onto hiccups in the argument and then consider the argument wrong. All argument needs charitable "sanity" checking on the words of the other person - if something doesn't make sense, first try to figure out if the person is expressing themselves badly. And so on.

Anyway, as I said, I messed up meself. I blame the rapid approach of Beer O'Clock on friday afternoon.

Cheers all. back to lurking. It's fun evesdropping here. Received on Mon May 06 2002 - 02:13:54 CEST

Original text of this message