Re: Archival or Snapshot data (database design)

From: Eric Theil <>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 08:44:07 -0600

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the order of the create table statements? I messed that up. If I take those statements and rearrange them by creating the event table last (since it tries to reference the employee and venue tables before they are created) I get the relationships I need.

Anyway, I'm not so concerned about creating the relationships as I am with coming with a way to enforce the integrity of the data without creating straight foreign key relationships. As an example, If I create a record in the Event table and then The Name column within the Venue table is changed, I don't want that to be reflected when pulling information about the event. I'd be doing a join across those two tables and pulling the new name of the venue. I want to come up with a way of tracking history to changes within the foreign key tables (venue and employee) so I know the names of employees and venues as they where when the Event record was originally created.