Re: Definition please....

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_uia.ua.ac.be>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:16:39 +0100

"Daniel Guntermann" <guntermann_at_uswest.net> wrote in message news:z7xo8.134$pV.120526_at_news.uswest.net...
> Pardon the contradition, but a *proposition* is a statement that is either
> true or false; a *predicate* is a true proposition.

Let me suggest the following: A predicate is a statement with open references such that when these are filled with specific objects, it turns into a predicate. For example "x is married to y" is a predicate. The statement "John is married to Mary" is a proposition (provided we know exactly who John and Mary are).

  • Jan Hidders