Re: relational vs object

From: akmal _at_ deja <_at_>
Date: 19 Mar 2002 08:53:58 -0800

"Carl Rosenberger" <carl_at_db4o.com> wrote in message news:<a74hko$k0i$07$1_at_news.t-online.com>...
> akmal _at_ city wrote:
> > > The comments to our mailing list usually are very friendly,
> > > so we really aren't loosing anyone, I think.
> > >
> > > Read for yourself, if you wish:
> >
> > No thank you. I have no interest in your product or company or what your
> > users say.
>
> Can I ask why?

Well you can ask, but I don't have to answer you.

> It seems strange to me that someone who pretends to write books
> on object databases is not interested, what is happening.

Hmm... pretend. Let's see, I've helped put together three books that cover OODBs. Hardly call that pretend. People have put in a great deal of effort both in terms of writing the chapters and getting the books to print. What kind of market share do you have? How many deployed systems? etc. to warrant you inclusion in any books. You are just jealous.

> Maybe you are prejudiced from having watched my postings here
> for the last 2 years. Some projects do move forward and it's
> worth to take a second or third look.

And maybe yours have become prejudiced by reading mine. Or maybe you just have a blinkered view of the world.

> > > I do see a "brigade" though:
> > > They are seeking salvation in JDO.
> > > ...not the best of all APIs either, I am afraid.
> >
> > I would have expected such comments from you, since you are pretty hostile
> > to JDO anyway. And let me guess, you have a much better alternative which
> > we should all use.
>
> Indeed I do think that the S.O.D.A. API is superiour to JDO for querying.
> In private mails I have received comments from about 30 people who share
> my opinion.

And there are many people out there working on JDO implementations. Probably a lot more evaluating it and starting to implement. It will get better over time.

> Information technology is starting to move too fast for you Akmal.

No I don't think so. I keep up to date with developements - that is my job. I see people developing in Java, XML and other technologies. I also help publish papers on these. Rather I think it is you that lives in the past.

> Some specifications don't need to spend 5 years being passed around
> on SIGMOD conferences. They get implemented straight away.

What are you talking about? What specifications have been passed around SIGMOD concerences for 5 years?

> Kind regards,
> Carl
> ---
> Carl Rosenberger
> db4o - database for objects - http://www.db4o.com

I'm not going to respond to you again, since it is really a waste of time and off-topic. If you want to bitch and moan, take it elsewhere.

akmal Received on Tue Mar 19 2002 - 17:53:58 CET

Original text of this message