Re: relational vs object

From: akmal _at_ city <akmal_at_soi.city.ac.uk.alumni>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:19:26 +0000

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Carl Rosenberger wrote:

> akmal _at_ city wrote:
> > > Shhhhhhhh! End users don't count for the OODBMS brigade. They're
> > > just a nuisance that gets in the way of the "perfect model"...
> >
> > Hmm... there is no brigade. More like a small cartload that keeps losing
> > one every now and again (either because they disappear completely or
> > decide that they are really EJB or XML vendors now).
>
> It depends where you come from.
>
> We have had more than 50.000 downloads of our engine throughout
> the last year an the mailing list is constantly growing.

But how many of these are actually developing serious software systems? Number of downloads proves nothing.

> The comments to our mailing list usually are very friendly,
> so we really aren't loosing anyone, I think.
>
> Read for yourself, if you wish:

No thank you. I have no interest in your product or company or what your users say.

> Focussing on EJB and XML indeed is rather foolish.
>
> I do see a "brigade" though:
> They are seeking salvation in JDO.
> ...not the best of all APIs either, I am afraid.

I would have expected such comments from you, since you are pretty hostile to JDO anyway. And let me guess, you have a much better alternative which we should all use.

akmal chaudhri
IBM developerWorks ------ www.ibm.com/developer/ City University, London - www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/ Received on Thu Mar 14 2002 - 23:19:26 CET

Original text of this message