Re: A searchable datastructure for represeting attributes?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 12:26:14 GMT

> NL> Why not? seems to me that a trigger encoding the validation logic is
> NL> *exactly* what you would want here.
>
>I thought it's obvious that this task is too complex for triggers
>and if we implement this in a trigger the system will run very slow.

Not at all. Done a lot more complex than that in PL/SQL triggers, without the slightest worry.
Of course, I wouldn't go as far as doing in-memory binary-search lookups in this sort of code, but provided I keep it to within reasonable limits, it is darn efficient.

But of course this varies enormously with each db engine.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Mar 04 2002 - 13:26:14 CET

Original text of this message