Re: Do log files demand serialization?

From: David Cressey <>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:31:58 GMT

> The only question I would have then, would be, is how long are the RUJ
> and AIJ exclusively locked? Wouldn't transaction logs have to be
> locked

RUJ data is isolated, because each transaction has its own RUJ file. The operating system has to synchronize allocating disk space to the two files, but that's a separate issue.

The AIJ does get locked, every now and then. But that lock, unlike row locks and index node locks, doesn't have to be held until end of transaction.

    David Cressey