Re: Do log files demand serialization?

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:31:58 GMT

> The only question I would have then, would be, is how long are the RUJ
> and AIJ exclusively locked? Wouldn't transaction logs have to be
> locked

RUJ data is isolated, because each transaction has its own RUJ file. The operating system has to synchronize allocating disk space to the two files, but that's a separate issue.

The AIJ does get locked, every now and then. But that lock, unlike row locks and index node locks, doesn't have to be held until end of transaction.

--
Regards,
    David Cressey