Re: Algorithms for database normalization

From: Arto Viitanen <av_at_siwenna.cs.uta.fi>
Date: 14 Feb 2002 13:25:11 +0200

 D> Hello Everybody, I would like to study all standard algorithms for
 D> normalizing the set of relations(database tables). I want to incorporate
 D> all of them in a tool for database design. I am working on such a tool
 D> which connects to the database server and reads the database catalog to
 D> determine all tables and constraints. based on this, user can perform the
 D> normalization in the desired level. I had read these algorithms in one
 D> book but they were not much concise. I need them in a form so that they
 D> can be programmed.

Check Heikki Mannila and Kari-Jouko Räihä "The Design of Relational Databases", Addison-Wesley, 1992. It lists several methods for database schema generation. The methods were for a tool "Design By Example", so they are not only concise, but also quite fast.

--
Arto V. Viitanen				                  av_at_cs.uta.fi
University of Tampere, Department of Computer and Information Sciences