Algorithms for database normalization

From: D. Kumar <xdilip_at_yahoo.co.in>
Date: 14 Feb 2002 02:47:17 -0800

Hello Everybody,
I would like to study all standard algorithms for normalizing the set of relations(database tables). I want to incorporate all of them in a tool for database design. I am working on such a tool which connects to the database server and reads the database catalog to determine all tables and constraints. based on this, user can perform the normalization in the desired level. I had read these algorithms in one book but they were not much concise. I need them in a form so that they can be programmed. I may need the following algorithms
1. for finding a closure of set of functional depandancies F
2. finding minimal cover of F
3. determining whether two set of F (and F') are equivalent or not.
4. for checking 1nf
5. for transforming into 2nf,3nf,4nf,5nf anf BCNF.

Please, suggest me books/links/articles/journels etc. or it would be better if you write me detail in your own words on my email (xdilip_at_yahoo.co.in)

if you need more information to work on this problem please do put a mail.

regards Received on Thu Feb 14 2002 - 11:47:17 CET

Original text of this message