Re: DB Design Dilemma!! One DB or Many DBs??

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:06:36 +0000 (UTC)

I don't think we entirely disagree! In principal at least a good logical design should be platfrom neutral. Its the actual implementation which is db dependent. For example many apps that work on sqlserver and oracle insist on creating temporary tables in user sessions. this is in general bad on oracle and (AIUI) reasonable on sql. sure the logical app design might say use a temporary storage area for this data object, that shouldn't be translated into temp tables per session unless necessary. the desin in question to me sounded like something that would perform best when implemented using platform specific features.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA