Re: Using Cursors in a Transaction Processing

From: Michael Russell <mrussell_at_beeb.net>
Date: 6 Feb 2002 23:55:49 -0800

JRStern_at_gte.net (JRStern) wrote in message news:<3c6072ea.29940902_at_news.gte.net>...
> Well here's the thing -- probably 99% of the stuff you do with
> relational databases should never involve a cursor at all. If you
> find yourself using a cursor more than that, you are almost certainly
> doing things the hard way, the slow way, and, dare I say it, the wrong
> way. You don't want to emulate an old ISAM system function for
> function using cursors in a relational database.
>
> Joshua Stern
> JRStern_at_gte.net

Thanks for alerting me, Joshua. At this stage all general "map of the universe" tips, advice and travellers' tales are very relevant. I've looked for more info on cursors and I'm getting a better picture .... they do have a bad, legacy-slanted reputation from a designer's viewpoint and seem to suffer from performance issues ....

Michael Russell Received on Thu Feb 07 2002 - 08:55:49 CET

Original text of this message