Re: Artificial Primary keys

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:51:04 +0000

In message <a35ik2$ri2$1_at_news.net.uni-c.dk>, Jan Emil Larsen <jel_at_g-it.dk> writes

>>But there
>> is no obvious relation between the value of the surrogate and the object
>> which it claims to identify, making it very difficult to detect that an
>> error has been made.
>As such an error can not be made, there is no need to detect it!

If you can declare that a surrogate key can't be recorded incorrectly then I can declare that a natural key can't be receded incorrectly, which removes your last objection to using natural keys.

--
Bernard Peek
bap_at_shrdlu.com

In search of cognoscenti