Re: how to query the structure of a database

From: Massimo Fuccillo <mfuccillonospam_at_tiscalinetnospam.it>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:38:10 GMT

Tanks very much to all!

If I remember well Dr. Codd wrote that a DBMS has to store not only the data but the metadata too,
and the metadata have to be retrieved with the same methods used for te data (queries).
This is not true in the real world, the same query 'list all my tables' can vary:

Select Tablename from systables

Select Name from sysobjects where type = 3

etc etc.

Use of an abstraction layer such JDBC or MS-ADO solves my technical problem but not satisfies my need of independence from the vendors.

Massimo Fuccillo Received on Wed Jan 30 2002 - 11:38:10 CET

Original text of this message