Re: Artificial Primary keys

From: Ben Clifford <benc-news_at_hawaga.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:49:04 GMT

Jan Emil Larsen wrote:

> In theory, your "time and place of birth"-key is indeed immutable and

> I practice, if "time and place" by an error was recorded wrongly, you would
> have to change the key - not because then person became another person, but
> due to an error. Errors happens.

That's because what you are actually using as the key is *not* the "time and place of birth", it is "a person's attempt to record the time and place of birth".

That's a problem, I suppose, for *any* key that has to be input rather than generated internally.

--
Ben Clifford
http://www.hawaga.org.uk/ben/  GPG: 30F06950