Re: hypothesis: always computer bugs!

From: Jens Panse <jens.panse_at_EasternGraphics.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:25:31 +0100

Imagine, anybody overrode the library with the printf-function with a function that perhaps deletes your harddisk. Your "hello world" will work, but the results are not the ones you expected.

another thing: to proof your software is free of errors is about equivalent to the proof of a mathematical theorems. Mathematical theorems can only by true with a factor of probability. Pytagoras theorem was proved a million times in schools and may be correct, so expect I. But the proof of many theorems is so complicated that only a few people are able to understand this. And if there is an error within the 50 pages of the proof, who can find this. An error in a proof of the "map coloring" (in german Vierfarbenproblem) an error was found after some years. And as far as I know this isn't proved analytical so far, only by means of computer. This means this problem can only be true if the computer program had no error...

Jens Panse

--

Jens Panse
http://www.EasternGraphics.com