Re: Artificial Primary keys

From: Ben Clifford <brenc_at_hawaga.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:19:02 GMT

--CELKO-- wrote:

> With SSN, which you have to have anyway, you can verify it
> with other documents and the tax boys.

Arrrgh. It is quite possible to be employed without having a SSN (even in the United States). What happens then? I have seen a three schemes used, none of which is satisfactory for this purpose:

  1. we use 999999999 (not unique)
  2. we use the serial number off some other identification document (that number changes every time the document is reissued, and is also not intended to be unique with SSNs)
  3. refuse to allow you to go in the database
--
Ben Clifford
http://www.hawaga.org.uk/ben/  GPG: 30F06950