Re: How to make RDBMS ?

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 15:29:52 GMT

Todd,

> I have lately come to believe that this is a misconception. What is
> undeniably true is that the OS problem was attacked first, but I think the
> DB problem is inherently simpler.

I can't speak to the problem in general, but when I took the course on Oracle Rdb internals, one of the students had taken VMS internals. He expected Rdb to be much simpler than VMS, and he was surprised. By his assessment the complexity of the two products was on the same order. This is just one person's opinion.

I had actually taught the internals of a much earlier OS, and I also think the complexity is of the same order.

((just in case: VMS is the operating system built by DEC for their VAX and ALPHA computers. Oracle Rdb is the relational database built by DEC to run on the VAX and ALPHA. VMS is currently owned by Compaq, maybe soon HP. Oracle Rdb is currently owned by Oracle.

--
Regards,
    David Cressey