Re: Generic Modeling

From: Brian Smith <brian-l-smith_at_uiowa.edu>
Date: 3 Jan 2002 15:15:05 -0800

"David Cressey" <david_at_dcressey.com> wrote in message news:<sS_Y7.38$Nq6.2194_at_petpeeve.ziplink.net>...
> > I think that other OODB's have elaborate query optimizers and surely
> > can handle concurrent access.
>
> While I agree with you regarding optimization, I disagree regarding
> concurrency. I haven't thought it through completely, but I've seen
> several products that didn't deal with concurrency in the first release, and
> it's usually been an ongoing pain to try to retrofit concurrency into them.

Okay, that is suprising to me so I will take my "surely" back. I don't have any experience with any OODBMS systems. I agree that concurrency is one of the fundemental aspects of a database (unless it is just a local single-user cache). If I didn't care about concurrent access I would be tempted to do my prototyping in BerkleyDB or a similar system.