Re: Clean Object Class Design -- Circle/Ellipse

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: 10 Oct 2001 19:32:51 -0700

Graham Perkins <gperkins_at_dmu.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<3BC2F330.667F9F40_at_dmu.ac.uk>...
> Bob Badour wrote:
> >
> > Using the real example of circle and ellipse:
> >
> > How does Smalltalk:
> > * allow me to declare circle as a subtype of ellipse?
> > * allow me to send the setFoci message to ellipse variables (that
> > incidentally contain circle values) with two different focal points?
> > * prevent me from sending the setFoci message to circle variables?
>
> James valiantly tries to follow you up.

Valiant is not the word I would have chosen.

> But there is no
> explaining to the resolute stonewalling of someone like Badour.

Until Mr. Harris' recent post, I was about to form a similar conclusion regarding the resolute stonewalling of Smalltalk bigots.

> His mention of "circle variables" and "ellipse variables" just
> don't make sense in smalltalk.

While it might not make sense to Smalltalk bigots, it certainly makes sense in Smalltalk. I'm becoming more and more convinced that Smalltalk is the programming language equivalent of Newspeak.

> And he's still mixed up between
> values and variables, and still doesn't understand Smalltalk.

I have observed that Smalltalk bigots convince themselves that other programmers do not understand Smalltalk when, in fact, Smalltalk bigots simply can no longer understand general programming terminology.

> We all do ourselves and others a disfavour by trying to
> make sense out of these nonsensical points that Badour and
> A.N.Other keep raising.

As they say: "Ignorance is bliss."

> Why not leave the burden on the author
> to posit a sensible and meaningful question?

I left the burden there, but if this is the best you can do.... Received on Thu Oct 11 2001 - 04:32:51 CEST

Original text of this message