Re: Clean Object Class Design -- Circle/Ellipse

From: Graham Perkins <gperkins_at_dmu.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 13:53:04 +0100

Bob Badour wrote:

> Using the real example of circle and ellipse:
>
> How does Smalltalk:
> * allow me to declare circle as a subtype of ellipse?
> * allow me to send the setFoci message to ellipse variables (that
> incidentally contain circle values) with two different focal points?
> * prevent me from sending the setFoci message to circle variables?

James valiantly tries to follow you up. But there is no explaining to the resolute stonewalling of someone like Badour.

His mention of "circle variables" and "ellipse variables" just don't make sense in smalltalk. And he's still mixed up between values and variables, and still doesn't understand Smalltalk.

We all do ourselves and others a disfavour by trying to make sense out of these nonsensical points that Badour and A.N.Other keep raising. Why not leave the burden on the author to posit a sensible and meaningful question? Received on Tue Oct 09 2001 - 14:53:04 CEST

Original text of this message