Re: Data Access Middleware & a Business User's view of data

From: Todd Gillespie <toddg_at_linux128.ma.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 14:34:12 +0000 (UTC)

In comp.databases Ron <ronsmyname_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
: Can anyone recommend a solution that can be used to provide multiple
: software applications & users access to multiple data sources via a
: single common logical piece of software (i.e. data access middleware)?

A webserver can do this. There are a number of fine free ones available.

: With capabilities that may include:

: - Presenting a common simplified view of our databases and data
: sources via a business user oriented metadata layer. Primarily for
: persons using reporting tools but possibly also our software
: developers.

After a dozen years of business texts using SQL, who decided that databases aren't for business users?

: - Connecting to and joining together multiple different databases via
: the one interface.

: - Insulating applications from changes to those data sources.

I like to call that a 'programmer'.

: - Providing an additional level of security within the middleware.

*snicker*

: What might you expect to pay?

Just about as much as the salesman can take you for.

These are problems of business organization, software documentation, and efficient design. You don't need a new shiny tool to fix them, moreover, there is no product that can solve them. Good luck. Received on Thu Oct 04 2001 - 16:34:12 CEST

Original text of this message