Re: using multiple subtables efficiently

From: Matti Teppo <matti.teppo_at_nospam.deio.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:50:29 +0200

> I guess this group isn't appropriate to my level but I'd appreciate being
> pointed towards a resource that might help answer my question?

I see this group is appropriate for your question.

> Given a table A in which each row can have a 1 to 1 relationship to one or
> no other tables a,b,c,d,e,..n, should the existence of a related row in
> tables a,b,c,d,e...n be determined using a multiple outer join, eg
>

> Or by including a field in table A that specifies which if any of tables
> a,b,c,d,e...n contains a related row?

I've succesfully used both methods with the same group of tables. If you store common data in table A, and specific details in tables a, b, c, d and e, you probably have one or more columns in table A to classify the rows. You can use this column for determining in which table the details are. But if you are SELECTing a list and you need data from several detail tables, the outer join solution is simple and works fine.

Matti Received on Fri Sep 28 2001 - 07:50:29 CDT