Re: Database Design

From: H <pencilstaple_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Sep 2001 20:28:57 -0700

Leandro Guimarăes Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandrod_at_mac.com> wrote in message news:<3BA4F32B.6060901_at_mac.com>...

> No one does it that way. Why not just adding a column?

        First let me reiterate that i'm new to this :) And also here is why I don't want to add a new column every time. I'm trying to match employees with customers. The way i would like to do this is have a web site where employees and customers fill out forms about themselves. In otherwords they would specify their age, sex, degree, university etc.

        I would like to store this information in a database, so that i can
pull the data out and run my matching algorithm. However, I want to make the database flexible. If i find out that age, sex, degree, and university is not satisfactory for making a good match I would like to be able to add extra fields for employees/customers to fill in. I want to add these fields without restructuring the entire database, especially since I anticipate that i will be doing this several times.

Ralph Received on Mon Sep 17 2001 - 05:28:57 CEST

Original text of this message