Re: 0.99999998 (was: Unknown SQL)

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: 5 Jun 2001 18:38:52 -0700

> > Incidentally, the person who wrote the initial queries was a newcomer
> > to SQL with little experience (I notice that people have been claiming
> > that SQL is easy to use for newcomers).
>
> I think that SQL, actually, IS fairly easy to learn for a newcomer.
>
> What isn't so easy to learn is how data works. This seems so simple as to
> be not even worth
> discussing, but it's actually where the problem lies.

There are many data management problems for which nobody has ever proposed any sort of solution. For some problems, no solution may exist.

Even if one overcomes the incompetence and carelessness, one is still faced with malice. Network model databases use some form of logical or physical pointer (OID) for identity. Relational model databases use candidate keys for identity. Neither provide protection against the growing problem of identity theft.

The proposed solutions to many other data management problems are, at best, poor compromises. Missing information springs to mind. Received on Wed Jun 06 2001 - 03:38:52 CEST

Original text of this message