Re: Flamewar object databases vs. relational databases

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: 4 Jun 2001 16:08:36 -0700

> > I also hope that bringing some real code in here might raise the level of
> > debate. For instance, I take real opposition to Carl's complaint that he
> > spent 1:45 hours debugging his SQL statements, when 80% of his code deals
> > with Java type-casting and awkward string handling.
>
> Please allow me to use pronounced examples.
>
> Conversion of data to and from relational databases is a common issue for
> problems with:
> - dates
> - rounding floating point numbers
> - rounding currency
> - different character encodings
> - null values

Since relational systems provide support for domains, no conversion issues exist that do not also exist in a network model OODBMS.

Personally, even with SQL, I never have any difficulties with any of the above issues.

Again, your assumptions are false, which invalidates all of your conclusions.

> No doubt OR-mapping-frameworks solve these problems

Since relational systems provide support for domains, no mapping frameworks are required.

> - at the cost of performance
> - with another layer that needs resources
> - with another layer that can cause locking and concurrency problems.

Again, your initial assumption is false, which renders all of your conclusions invalid. Received on Tue Jun 05 2001 - 01:08:36 CEST

Original text of this message