Re: Unknown SQL

From: Mikito Harakiri <nospam_at_newsranger.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 22:18:38 GMT

In article <8ATR6.764$qO.187758698_at_radon.golden.net>, Bob Badour says...

>Why on earth would anyone want to program a text editor with a DBMS? It is
>an inappropriate use of the tool. Can you program a text editor solely with
>your product? Or does one need to use a programming language, such as Java,
>as well?

I would. Indeed, given an complex UI appication, why can't I ask to find all the combobox widgets with a country list easily? We shipped this monster application last month and customer wants to update country lists everywhere changing the "All" option to blank entry.

No matter now badly my application is written, the request is so simple so that it could be easily formulated in SQL. Some people like Peter Douglass from comp.object already expressed an idea of having general purpose relational engine within programming environment. Until then, however, the best I can do is to navigate ala STL in 3GL language. Received on Sat Jun 02 2001 - 00:18:38 CEST

Original text of this message