Re: Unknown SQL

From: Mikito Harakiri <nospam_at_newsranger.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:02:37 GMT

In article <asaR6.5598$rn5.274313_at_www.newsranger.com>, Vadim Tropashko says...

>In article <9f3adc$7f4$03$1_at_news.t-online.com>, Carl Rosenberger says...
>>
>>The views we experimented with were full of GROUP BY clauses.
>>
>Which prompts a natural question "how easy are aggregate/group by queries in
>object querying"? Last time your example with car and wheels gave us some
>flavour what object querying is. How about
>
>select sum(sal) from emp group by dept
>
>?

Your question is very similar to Codd's famous "find all employees who earn more than their managers". This was said before "group by" was introduced, i guess. With "group by" the query becomes: "find all managers whose salary is more sum of all their employees". Received on Wed May 30 2001 - 20:02:37 CEST

Original text of this message