Re: SQL Query Question

From: Arto Viitanen <av_at_cs.uta.fi>
Date: 11 May 2001 16:19:43 +0300

>>>>> "who" == who <Charcoal> writes:

 who> Hi people, Assume I have a table which is just a list of numbers (only
 who> 1 column). I want to perform a query which shows every number under 100
 who> which is NOT in the table. How do I do this?

 who> For example, in my MyTable there is the following data: 1, 4, 7, 32, 54  who> (there are 5 records in my table).

 who> Now how would I write a query to show all the numbers < 100 that are  who> not in this table? ie, it should show 2, 3, 5, 8, .... etc.

Create another table, that has numbers from 1 to 100. Then make a select like

SELECT column
FROM table

DIFFERENCE SELECT column
FROM onetohundred

(or using NOT IN, if you prefer).

That is, SQL and relational model knows nothing about number theory.

--
Arto V. Viitanen				                  av_at_cs.uta.fi
University of Tampere, Department of Computer and Information Sciences