Re: S.O.D.A. database Query API - call for comments

From: mikito Harakiri <nospam_at_newsranger.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 16:58:40 GMT

In article <9d8nkr$mj$02$1_at_news.t-online.com>, Carl Rosenberger says...

>> Since you are connecting entities without keys (as you
>> imply below), you must be connecting them together 'physically' by
 physical proximity or
>> by some type of link/pointer/reference. It is this general way of
 connecting entities
>> that I object to. In fact, I object to any way of linking entities (in a
 shared
>> database) that is not based on common values (keys).
>
>Again:
>What is the difference in linking objects by object-ids in comparison to
>linking objects by relational keys?

Object references in general are one-way only, right? Is it technically impossible to directly navigate from detail to master, then. Find all purchase orders with item #12 on the list. Oh, I forgot, oodb will bring all the orders into memory...

Unless, oodb starts maintaining double-linked references, you can't claim that it could easily match quering capability of relational. And adding double-linked references to object model compromises the simplicity that object folks are emphasising. Received on Tue May 08 2001 - 18:58:40 CEST

Original text of this message