Re: Storing hierarchical information?

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 22:44:20 +0200

Dave Kimmel wrote:

> 4) Something completely different.  Switching to a hierarchical

> database, like whatever Zope uses, comes to mind. The problem with
> this is that I know absolutely nothing about hierarchical
> databases. This is probably closer to The Right Way To Do Things
> than anything else.

Dave,

If you are using Java, and you can spare an hour to have a look at our samples, you might be able to save yourself a lot of brainwork and implementation time.

Using our database is very straight forward and simpler than using SQL. One single command

    database.set(object)
stores an object and all attached new members to any depth.

The same command can be used to update objects.

To retrieve objects, you can either use query-by-example or traverse down from the root object, activating links in turn.

db4o is free for non-commercial use.

Kind regards,
Carl

---