Re: Multi-language database schema

From: Todd Gillespie <toddg_at_linux126.ma.utexas.edu>
Date: 1 May 2001 23:47:05 GMT

Matt Jacobs <mattja_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
: The US division of my company would like to share a database with our
: French division. We would like to share database tables as well as a
: set of executable programs that use SQL to manipulate the database.
: The French would like to continue to name the tables and columns in
: French while we would like to use English.

Use SYNONYMs and VIEWs. For maintainability's sake, you might want to decide on a single language for tables, using the other for views (a master-slave ordering), but not doing so is not a showstopper.

: We figure we would probably have to write a SQL pre-processor to
: translate the table and column names between English and French. That

Bring unto me tricky pre-processor bugs!

: I was wondering, how do Oracle, PeopleSoft, SAP, etc., handle this
: situation? I'm sure many companies share databases internationally.
: Are they all using English for table and column names?

All the I18N databases I've worked with use English in the schema. Received on Wed May 02 2001 - 01:47:05 CEST

Original text of this message