Re: S.O.D.A. database Query API - call for comments

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.win.tue.nl>
Date: 30 Apr 2001 10:27:52 GMT

Simon Brooke wrote:
> on Saturday 28 April 2001 21:53, Lee Fesperman wrote:
>
> > Object-oriented is a bunch of half-baked concepts with no theorectical
> > foundation. There is no way to prove these concepts except
> > empirically. Relational DBMSs, on the other hand, are built on
> > fundamentally sound principles.
>
> No, sorry, that's really, really not true. Just as the relational
> model has a sound basis in the mathematic of relational algebra, so
> object oriented design has a sound mathematical basis in category
> theory.

What category theory are you talking about here? The one with morphisms, et cetera? Because I don't see how that presents a mathematical foundation of object oriented design. On the other hand you can find in the database theory literature lots of other formal models for OOD. So the problem is not that there isn't any, but that that there are too many and that there doesn't seem to be an obvious best choice.

--
  Jan Hidders